09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

September 11, 2012

Butt Puff and the Electric Volcano

4th graders are funny! Those of you who teach 4th graders already know this.

12 years later, I still crack up every time I think about "butt puff". It was an ordinary day. The class was doing their D.O.L. (Daily Oral Language) corrections. Dan (I've changed his name to protect his dignity.) came up to me very seriously and asked "Mrs. B., why would someone name their cat, Butt Putt?" I did a double take. "Huh?" "In the sentence, why would they name their cat, Butt Puff?" I, not very professionally,  busted out laughing. You see the sentence actually read, But Puff my cat won't eat fish. The commas were missing, and the students were supposed to add them.

Now, I have a new one. I was doing BOY (beginning of the year) testing of my students. We have to do a fluency probe, a DRA reading level, and QPS. One of the tasks on the QPS is to evaluate 3 syllable words. There are ten words total. "Electric" and "volcano" are two of them. The other day, I was testing J.J. He was reading the list of words, kind of struggling, but when he got to electric and volcano. He flew across both of them. In fact, he said them together, then he just giggled. He looked up at me kind of surprised and said "Electric volcano? Can you imagine an electric volcano?" He was so funny that he made me laugh, too.

Ok...maybe it is just me, but I love 4th grade humor!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I also teach 4th - yes, they are funny... so funny that sometimes I forget to laugh :) I wonder where their brains are something... I'm your newest follower! Come visit me too!
    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete