09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

December 5, 2012

Non-fiction Text Structure

I'm not a thief, but I am "easily inspired". 

The challenge...address these TEKS:

11(A) summarize the main idea and supporting details in text in ways that maintain the meaning.
11 (B) distinguish fact from opinion in a text and explain how to verify what is a fact using evidence from informational/expository text
11(C) describe explicit and implicit relationships among ideas in informational/expository text organized by cause- and-effect, sequence, or comparison
11(D) use multiple text features (e.g. guide words, topic and concluding sentences) to gain an overview of the contents of text and to locate information.

My solution...
3
Every student got a step book made from 3 sheets of copy paper cut in half.
I printed out the non-fiction text structure posters (9 to a page).  
I found them on Pinterest, but they originally came from a Scholastic website.  


We glued the mini poster at the top of the flip book page. 
Then, we read 5 pre-selected articles from Time for Kids.
 After they read an article, students decided which text structure it fit and recorded it in their flip book.
They, also, took note using the concept map for each structure. 

Finally, one more anchor chart this week. I copied slightly larger (4X6) mini-posters. 
I wish I had printed them 5X8. It feels like it missing something, but I am not sure what. 
I think I might list other non-fiction articles on it as we read them this year. 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Love your foldable for text structures. It is always so much for the students to remember I think is a great way to help them! Thanks for sharing!

    Your newest follower,
    Dana

    Live Learn Teach for Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a great idea. I find this to be a very difficult concept for my 4th graders to grasp-though I think it's so obvious! I plan to use your wonderful ideas in combination with a few other things I've found :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I clicked on your link for the scholastic anchor chats, and all that pulls up is the cause and effect one. I tried searching scholastic's website but can't find them. Do you happen to have those anchor charts still?

    Thank you!!
    Katie
    kkillian87@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete