09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

February 23, 2013

Anchor Charts Away!

Language Arts skills weighing you down. Try an anchor chart! I have been making anchor charts like crazy lately. Here are my recent additions.

Complete Sentences...

 After giving the middle of the year writing benchmark, I discovered that my students had difficulty recognizing a complete sentence and its parts. I created this anchor chart to help remind them. I, also, use the  circled CS symbol to indicate when I want them to write a complete sentence. When they don't write one, I let them know by using the same symbol crossed through. 

AAAWWUBBIS

To help them write, complex sentences in their writing. I taught them AAAWWUBBIS from Jeff Anderson's Mechanically Inclined. This chart is a combination of my favorites from Pinterest.

I saw this one on Pinterest, also. I knew I needed to make one to remind them about their beloved FANBOYS and their new favorite, AAAWWUBBIS. Fingers crossed! They will use them in their next expository composition.

Author's Purpose

Another Pinterest mash-up! We, also, made paper plate pies.


Word Study
~ing endings

Pinspiration struck again!

~ed endings

An ~er  version will be coming soon!

Kindness Counts

During the month of February, my class has been filling out Tickets of Appreciation (from Jon Gordon's Energy Bus for Kids) for each other. Every Friday, I pull them out of the box, read them aloud, and acknowledge their kindness with a bulldog token (our school's spirit store currency). The poster arrived shortly after I started this program. It came from values.com.

This past Friday, one of my sweethearts asked, "Are we going to keep doing this after February is over?" My reply, "Yes, yes, we are." Sometimes what we teach isn't in always in the curriculum. 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I stumbles upon your blog, and I'm so glad I did! I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! I have a "problem box" where students can anonymously talk about problems they are having so we can brainstorm solutions for them, but adding this component would be genius. Having students recognize the kindness of others validates the kids that are showing that great behavior, and motivates those that need the extra incentive. Fantastic idea! I am going to try it out. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOVE using anchor charts in the classroom! Just a great visual for students to refer back to!

    ReplyDelete