09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

March 26, 2013

Tried It Tuesday - Reading Rewards




My dilemma: Motivate kids to read AND hold them accountable for their reading. Personally, I loathe, abhor, and detest reading logs. If you use them, I am happy for you. For 20 years, I have been unable to find or create one that I like and that WORKS. 

This past summer, I stumbled upon Reading Rewards. It is basically an online reading log, but it WORKS. My students beg can I log on my reading time. They can do it the morning before announcements, during their station time, or at home.

 It is very simple, once you set up your groups. The hardest part was setting the group target. I started with my expectation of 20 min. a day for at least 5 days a week, then multiplied that by the number of students, then multiplied that # by the number of weeks in the school year.
Here is a look at one of my group pages. The "bulldog" is my account. I only logged in time at the beginning to show them how to use the site. 

The "little duck" student just logged in today. I need to ask him about his time, but he has read 23 books this year. One option teachers have is to require students to have their time validated. You can enter a parent's email or have it sent to you. I have a couple of students that I validate (like #3). By the way, students get to choose their own avatar. Some of them are animated. Some of them change daily. 

This is my profile page. 



Once they have logged in some time, they can play the games. Creature Race is my homeroom's favorite! It has caused a LOT of competition. I frequently hear, "Look Mrs. B. I'm head of so-and-so."

There is a a blog and community component to Reading Rewards. I don't allow my students to send messages to each other. They tried, but much to their dismay their messages were sent to me.

Reading Rewards - I tried it. It worked. I like it. I will use it again next year. However, I think I will tie it into their grade. Have any of you used Reading Rewards? Any suggestions for grades?

96...97...98....I'm almost at 100 followers. I feel like the little blogger that could. I am thinking about a 100 follower giveaway, maybe a Starbucks giftcard. It may be on hold until this weekend though. Check back in Friday!

What have you tried? Head over to Fourth Grade Flipper and tell Holly what you have tried every Tuesday.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I think I am going to check this site out. I always struggle with a way to track reading and I am tired of using so much paper for reading logs.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cool tool! There are so many new online reading programs popping up all the time!

    Sarah (your newest follower)
    MissKinBK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackpot! I'm with you on the reading logs - trouble, little white lies, and too much time (in my opinion)! I'm already thinking about what I could do differently next year to track time and this just might be my solution. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Its great to find a fellow 4th grade blogger. I've joined up and can't wait to check out your site!

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Thanks for sharing. As Courtney said, it is great to find another 4th grade blogger! I am your newest follower.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this idea too! I'll definitely have to add this to my back to school routine--thanks for sharing :)

    --jen
    teaching,life,and everything in between

    ps: I'm your 100th follower :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so neat!! I pinned it so I can remember to use it later. I detest reading logs too but we have a grade policy of using them in each room and I can't go against my team. However, maybe I could convince them to use this:) Thank you so much for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S. Congratulations on 100 followers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...neat! I really like this idea!

    Paper reading logs should definitely become a thing of the past.

    I'm another 4th grade blogger! I'm just beginning, but I'm excited to find another 4th grade teacher!

    I'm follower #102. :)

    ReplyDelete