09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

April 19, 2013

Five for Friday Flashback - Civil War edition

       

It's Friday, and I'm as happy as a little pig leaning out of a car window with a whirlygig going "Weeeeee!!!!". 
Time to link up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching.

1.  Civil War lapbook - I am super excited about starting our Civil War lapbook. Our textbook only has 2 lessons, but our scope and sequence says to teach it for 6 weeks (Well, it did last year. It was revised this year. Now, we are going to cover it in 4 weeks. Much better!) 

I love Home School Connections free lapbook templates. I love them even more, since I found the Civil War templates. Awesomeness! I was able to use most of their templates as is, but did modify the one about ships to become our "Naval Battles of the Civil War in Texas" tab book. I found my information here

We are supposed to cover women of the civil war. I used Home School Connections book shape template to create a mini book. It looked sort of old-fashioned to me. I thoroughly enjoyed researching the women. There were some really interesting ladies. For example, Sarah Seelye ran away from home disguised as a boy, so she wouldn't have to get married. She joined the Union army and served for nearly two years. Do you want to know more? Click here for my resource. 

*Disclaimer: The rest of this is not completely school related, because of #2.

2. Blah! - Home sick Wednesday and Thursday. I took 2 naps for a total of 3 hours extra sleep, but did NOT enjoy the sore throat and sinus headache. 

3. SPCA donation - Every month, the staff at my school participate in a "Bulldog (our school mascot) Benefactor" program. For either $10 or $20 depending on the month and benefiting charity, we are allowed to wear jeans with a certain color shirt. During the month of March, we collected $ and donations for the Houston SPCA and wore gray. Thursday, I took our donations to the shelter and got a behind the scenes tour from the Director of Volunteers, my step-daughter. The sweet girl in my lap is named Lena. I don't know if you can tell, but she was hugging my arm. 

4.  Clinton Kelly's Peanut Butter Balls - Since, I was home sick, I got a chance to watch The Chew. Clinton made Peanut Butter Ball truffles. (Do you like how I use just his first name like I know him?) Later that afternoon, so did I, except I used Cocoa Rice Krispies. OMGoodness! Click here for the recipe.

5.  Joke of the Week - Puppets
Again, I got a chance to catch up on my "Ellen" episodes while I was home sick. I saw the episode with Matthew Perry, where he tells his puppet joke. Then, Jennifer Aniston tells the joke again Thursday. It gets funnier every time I hear it. All week I've been driving my husband crazy by finding ways to work it into our conversations. If you haven't heard it, click here to hear the joke and vote on whether it is stupid, funny, or stupid, but funny. 

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I love that you focus on women in the Civil War - how cool! Hope you start feeling better soon. :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes! I have to get better by Tuesday for our state testing.

      Kristin

      Delete
  2. Love, love, LOVE the pig and I share your excitement for Friday!! Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combination. I need to get the recipe you posted. Thanks for sharing.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love PB and chocolate, then I highly recommend my Pinterest board "PB & Chocolate (Best Idea EVER!).

      http://pinterest.com/teachntex/pb-chocolate-best-idea-ever/

      Delete
  4. Great post! Love the free civil war lapbook!
    We are having an appetizer Monday at school! I'm pretty sure Peanut Butter Balls are an appetizer! YUM!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete