09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

April 25, 2013

Peace, Hope, Love, and Kindness

As a teacher, we often find ourselves teaching more than just reading, writing, and arithmetic. We must teach them compassion, empathy, peace, hope, love, and kindness. After the shooting at Sandy Hook, I found myself wanting to inspire my students to be more kind. (They were already a pretty nice group of kids.) I read The Energy Bus for Kids and started a "Ticket of Appreciation" campaign. (You can sign up for his free teacher packet here.) Whenever someone helped them or was kind to them, they would fill out a ticket. At the end of the week, I shared them, gave them a little treat, and their peers applauded as they came up to receive their tickets. At the end of February, they asked if we could continue to do it during March. So we did. I loved watching them go out of their way to carry binders, clean up supplies, and loan pencils to each other. My heart smiled when they filled out tickets for me. They beamed when I filled out tickets for them. I will definitely do this again next year, maybe at the beginning of the year.

On a lighter note...last night I was checking Facebook right before I went to bed. I saw that a friend had posted a video. Even though, I should have turned off my phone and gone to sleep. I stopped and watched it. I was really glad I did. There is goodness in the world! 



Want to read about more goodness, click on the picture below.

I wish you peace, hope, love, and kindness!
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful video! That was really neat! Thanks for linking up! I love the tickets too. :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED that video. Thank you for sharing it- I'm going to show it to my 8th graders next week.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete