09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

April 27, 2013

Sparking Student Motivation - Cookies & Choice


It's that time of year when we are all looking for a little motivation; students and teachers. This week we finished our last two state tests. Normally, I start Mondays by filling out our planners and passing out homework. This past Monday, I didn't. They kept asking me are we going to have homework. [My partner gave Math homework the week of the Writing test. They did not see or understand his vision (preparing them for the Math test this week).] Near the end of class, I passed out a note upside-down and told them they couldn't read it until I said OK. Finally, I said OK. They read it. I told them to glue it in their planner, then I handed out the "smart" cookies. One sweet girl said, "Mrs. B., can I have more homework?" Another boy, wolfed his cookies down, looked up at me and smiled, and said, "I already did my homework." Totally worth the time, effort, and expense!
* Note: A friend shared this note. I'm not sure of the original source.

The other way I motivate my students is with CHOICE. Recently, I blogged about CLASS DOJO. (Click here to read the original post.) When I needed to spark some motivation for DOJO again, I had them brainstorm a list of rewards that they would like to earn. Then, we chose the point value for each reward (10, 20, 30...80).  Now, I start each class by showing them their current points, and we end class by checking again. On Friday, if they have reached the next level, they get to choose from 3 reward coupons for that level. For example, at 10 points, they could choose a "Bring a drink pass", "Free Drawing Time pass" or "No Shoes! pass". I have been using the "Classroom Rewards" packet from Jackie from My Organized-Chaotic-Classroom. I really liked them, but my kids are creative and came up with rewards that weren't in Jackie's pack, so I had to create some of my own. Click on any picture to download.
         
       

An editable version is available in my TPT store. Click here to download.

Check out these two great giveaways!




Now you can follow me on Facebook, too!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Such cute cookie motivators! I like that your students help you create new rewards! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cookie motivators!! Thanks for sharing the giveaway!! Good luck :)

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete