09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

May 12, 2013

Math Mentor Text - Go Hang a Salami, I'm a Lasagna Hog


Hmmmm...do I break the blogger cardinal rule and post twice in one day or arrive late to a linky party? Break the rules! I follow most of the rules, but only the ones that apply to me. 


Here is another rule that I am breaking. Today Amanda and Stacia's mentor text linky party is about Math. Officially, my book is about palindromes and might be used in word study. However, I have always used it in Math, when I taught repeated addition. I would begin by reading "Robert Trebor" by Marilyn Burns, then Go Hang a Salami, I'm a Lasagna Hog by Jon Agee.





How do you make this a Math book? By teaching repeated addition with palindromes. I learned about this original lesson a million years ago when I attended a TEXTEAM training. You can see the lesson here.

MOM said, "WOW!" 
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. My kids love word palindromes, but I haven't done anything with number palindromes. Thanks for the idea!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting approach! Loved reading this post and the lesson you linked up... Thanks so much for sharing!

    Have a wonderful week,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a neat idea! This is why I love this linky! I've never heard of this book or thought to use palindromes for repeated addition! How fun! Thanks so much for linking up!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book idea and the link to the lesson. I love finding new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a really neat idea. I never would have thought of connecting palindromes with numbers. Very cool.

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks awesome. I LOL'ed at the title of the post! I will have to check it out! :)
    I'm also holding a linky, please hop over and check it out. I'd love for you to link up! :)

    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete