09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

May 19, 2013

Mentor Text - Science - Cactus Hotel

It is Sunday! Time to explore my old Science files and link up with Amanda & Stacia. 


When I was self-contained, I tried to integrate as much as possible. Our reading basal contained this little gem.

You can check out some of the pages by clicking here. After reading, we would complete the following reading response. Click the picture to purchase a copy from Teacher Express.

Finally, students would draw their own Saguaro cactus, and draw and label the animals that depend on the cactus for survival. (Unfortunately, I can't find my file with student examples.)


Next week, we will back to my favorite subject, Social Studies. Come back and check it out!
Photobucket


4 comments:

  1. Great book. :) I taught fourth grade science for a while and this would have been perfect. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this book when I taught habitats in first grade. It is a great little book. My firsties made a cactus hotel and drew animals that could live in it. Habitats was one of my favorite units.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove this book! I think it's a great way for kids to see that a cactus is much more than a cactus! A long time ago it was in the 3rd grade anthology and I used it every year!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read this book. From your post and the comments so far, it sound like a good one. I love when a book works in a first grade classroom and in a fourth grade classroom.
    Thanks for sharing.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete