09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

May 26, 2013

Mentor Text - Social Studies


Love this linky, especially the 4th Sunday of the month! Why? Today is the day to link up with Social Studies  texts. This is my favorite subject to teach.

At the beginning of the year, we focus on map skills and geography. My favorite book to use is The Armadillo from Amarillo by Lynne Cherry.



An Armadillo from Amarillo wondered,
"Where in the world am I?
What's out beyond these tangled woods,
What's out beyond the sky?"

This Dr. Seuss-like phrase begins the armadillo's journey to discover his place in the world. As you travel with him, he writes postcards back to his cousin, Brillo at the Philadelphia Zoo. With the help of a golden eagle, he finds out that he lives in a city, in a state, in a country, on a continent, and on a planet. 

Lots of opportunities to teach geography and science (Texas flora and fauna) with this book! The activity I usually use after reading this book is to create a mobile of where the student is located starting with their city, state, country, continent, and planet.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. This is a good one! I use this book every year!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the pictures all photographs? Sounds like a fun book!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is illustrated by Lynne Cherry, too. The kids really love the Dr.Seuss style writing.

      Delete
  3. I love books like this that teach geography. :). Have you ever read Ben's Dream? Similar book that provides opportunities for geography exploration. Great Post!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a cute book. Totally new to me though! Thanks for sharing about it!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this author! Thanks so much for sharing how this text can be used...

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I in the right place? I must have missed the announcement that you were going to 2nd grade? I'll have to go back and read so I can catch up...

    This sounds like a great book! I have heard of it but never read it! It sounds like a great way to incorporate geography!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! I love books that introduce new places to kids. Sounds VERY cute! I'm moving up to 2nd grade and I think geography is a big part of our standards. I'm your newest follower!

    -Amanda
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete