09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

May 5, 2013

Must Read Mentor Text - Zoom


It's time for Amanda and Stacia's weekly bookaholics (no longer) anonymous meeting/linky!

"Hi, my name is Kristin and I'm a bookaholic!"

This week the focus is Language Arts. What a dilemma! So many choices! I chose a writing mentor text that I use early in the year while teaching personal narratives.

Need your students to zoom in on the moment in their writing?


Try one of my favorite books,  ZOOM by Istvan Banyai. I own the book, but I usually don't use it. Instead, I use this slideshare presentation. If you aren't familiar with the book, it is wordless. As you turn each page, you zoom back out from the previous page to discover that image was part of a larger picture. For example, two children looking out the window become toys in a model set on the cover of a magazine. Kirkus Review says "This book has the fascinating appeal of such works of visual trickery as the Waldo and Magic Eye books." 
That is why the kids LOVE it!


We watch the presentation, then talk about how we can apply that same idea in our writing, then we practice zooming in our writing. I pick a big topic like going to the beach, then zoom in to a seed story, like the red flag warning at the beach during our vacation in Cancun.

Your kids will probably love this book like mine! Good news! There is another book, RE-ZOOM. You won't be able to resist after reading the description from Amazon.

Open this wordless book and take off on mind-bending visual journeys full of twists, turns, and surprises. Zoom from an Egyptian pyramid to an exotic jungle to a sandy beach. But if you think you know where you are, guess again. For in Istvan Banyai's mysterious landscapes of pictures within pictures, nothing is ever as it seems.


I can't wait to zoom over to the Collaboration Cuties and see what mentor texts other teachers are using!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Zoom and Re-Zoom! The kids really get into the detailed images.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great things in this post...where to start? Love your opening with "bookaholics!" LOL! I will take great honor in that label, thank you very much! ;)

    Secondly, very clever of you to link right to the slideshare of the book! Awesome, that will save me a few bucks by not having to add this one to my wishlist. Instead, I'll just pin it so that I can find it when I am ready to use your fabulous idea!;) Thanks so much for sharing!
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. It fit right in with my visual literacy lessons I do with the kids. I just went through the slideshare presentation too...too cool.

    thanks for this
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never hear of the book or slideshow. Thank so much for sharing! Very interesting...

    Have a great week,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Zoom, and still need to get Re-Zoom. I actually "read" Zoom backward to my class at the end of the year to talk to my kids about "zooming in" to focus on their writing pieces.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love wordless books!! Yay!! I haven't heard of these! Yay!! I'm so glad that you linked them up and thank you for the slideshow!

    Amanda
    http://collaborationcuties.blogspot.com/2013/05/lnguage-arts-must-read-mentor-text.html

    ReplyDelete