09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

May 11, 2013

Reading Olympians Rap Battle


How do you spark motivation, especially during the end of the school year? 
How do you get kids excited about word parts?
My answer...a rap battle!
Just a little friendly competition.


For the past several weeks, I have been using the Reading Olympians program. (See my previous blog post here.) My kids love the raps! I did too! However, they were only learning one or two of them a week!

This past week I put them in three groups, gave them five minutes to come up with a team name, and ten minutes to divide up the rap responsibilities and practice. Each day, I gave them some practice time. Friday was team performance day! My morning class only had one person who didn't memorize their rap. My afternoon class gave awesome performances, but kind of forgot that it was about memorizing the raps. One team only did 4 out of 10, yet they had the longest performance time. 

Teams could earn additional points by finding additional words for the anchor chart. My requirements were that the words be spelled and used correctly. They, also, couldn't repeat a word or add endings.


I'd say they were motivated.

Today is the last day to enter Holly's giveaway!
4 winners are going to receive....

Need some motivation? Head over to Joanne's @ Head Over Heels for Teaching.
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I just learned about the Reading Olympians program a month or so ago. I really like what I've read, and it's pretty apparent that your kids jumped all over this assignment! How cool is that?
    Marion
    MentoringintheMiddle
    P.S. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the looks on those charts, they were definitely motivated! :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing Reading Olympians too! Great idea to do with it! It's officially been stolen for my classroom now.

    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a little friendly competition! And I love that it's called a "battle". It's obvious by the photo they were very MOTIVATED-so awesome! Thanks for linking up and sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I guess they were motivated! Thanks so much for the shout out on the giveaway:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete