09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

June 2, 2013

All the Places to Love Currently

Prior to Amanda and Stacia's Must Read Mentor Texts linky, Sundays in our house started with this phrase..."If it's Sunday, it's 'Meet the Press'!" Now, Sundays begin with "If it's Sunday, it's 'Must Read Mentor Texts'!"

This week, it is Language Arts mentor texts. I am sharing one that I use for writing. Even before we started using Lucy Calkins in my district, we would "romance" a book, then write our composition. A favorite topic was to write about your favorite place. A favorite book to romance was All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan.


I created a quick half page pattern writing page. [Click the thumbnail below to download.] After reading the book, students think about their favorite place and draw a picture. Then, they use their picture to fill in the pattern. Sometimes, I stop here and publish their pictures and writing into a class book. 

Other years, they continue to use the pattern to write a complete composition. I included the rubric that I use for grading the full composition. [Click the thumbnail below to download.]
Where else can teachers make all the difference in the world? Amanda & Stacia @ Collaboration Cuties make a difference in the literature we read to children. Farley @ Oh Boy, 4th grade! makes a difference in the way we look at our month. 


Ironic! I started this post before 9 am. I was watching the Today Show. I didn't finish before Meet the Press came on. Hubby has the remote, so now I am listening to Meet the Press. White noise!

I should be at church, but a severe thunderstorm moved through about that time, so I am being lazy and listening to the rain.

Speaking of being lazy, I haven't made my summer to-do list. Maybe next week when I am actually on summer vacation, I will do it.

Since, I am changing grade levels and moving my classroom down the hall, I need to clean my garage to make space for my fourth grade language arts stuff and chapter books. I am being a little bit more brutal during this move. When I switched schools, I wasn't. I am a little bit of a borderline hoarder. I, also, need to start going through my fourth grade math and science boxes, currently in the garage, and decide what I will need for second grade. 

An essential for summer vacation...naps! It takes me at least a week of no alarm clock and naps to make up for my sleep deficit from the school year. 

I have a lot of plans for my blog and TPT this summer. I can't wait to have time to complete them.

I'm old school. I love going to the public library, finding a book, and turning the pages to get lost in another world. 

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I love naps in the summer too...nothing better than reading a good book until you fall asleep.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks great; always need a great text for imagery! Cleaning a garage is a lot of work, but worth it in the end!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a beautiful book...AND, I need to clean my garage too. :( Thanks for sharing, now I don't feel so alone with my to-do list. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am old school too and love finding a good book to get lost in:) I'm not sure where I've been, but I didn't realize you are moving to 2nd grade!! That is evidence right there that teachers need to be somewhat of a hoarder:) You never know where you will end up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful book! I will be adding it to my list. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, you are so sweet! I love this book! I don't think I used it this year, but I have in the past. It's a beautiful book! I will definitely be remembering to use this next year! Thank you for the freebies to go with it!

    Oh, the moving of classrooms and changing of grade levels...fun times! It will feel good once you get all organized though! You have all summer! ;O)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks beautiful! I'm going to be checking into this one over the summer.
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this...thank you. Looks like a beautiful book.

    I also need to clean my garage...it's a hot mess!

    I am moving to fourth, and I am worn out from the physicality of it. Now my brain and my body need a rest!

    And I'm a page turner as well. Nothing like it....
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that book. Thank you so much for sharing your resources to go along with it!

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did a similar lesson earlier in the year. Such a wonderful book. Thank you so much for the freebies!!

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete