09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

July 22, 2013

Monday Made It! - July 22nd


I don't know about you, but I am starting to feel a sense of urgency in completing my projects. I still have a month left of vacation, BUT I have 2 full day and 2 half day inservices coming up, plus I know I will go back up to school to start unpacking and setting up my classroom as soon as I receive the email saying what day the building will open. [Is it me or is it crazy that I don't already know this information? Shhhh! It's a secret!] Thanks to Tara @ 4th Grade Frolics for motivating me each week to get my to-do list done!

My apologies, but this is going to be a loooooonnnnng post.



I made these signs for the 2nd Grade blog hop this past weekend. If you didn't download them, they are available in my TPT store for 2nd-5th grades. 

For the blog hop, I, also, had to make FB tabs. I love learning new skills. 

A little lesser known fact about me...my favorite pizza is Hawaiian and although I grew up in Kansas and live in Texas, I am not a big beef eater. I'm not going to pull an Oprah and say I hate it, but I just don't eat a lot of it. I prefer chicken and pork, so when I saw this recipe for Hawaiian sliders, I was like "What?" 

Recipe for Mini Hawaiian Burgers from simple & delicious

The recipe made 12 mini burgers. I froze them in packs of two. I have another similar recipe for turkey sliders with bacon and applesauce. I need to make more and stock up my freezer for back-to-school season. They are easy to grab, defrost in the fridge during the day or in the microwave, then grill up on my grill named after a famous Houston boxer. 


Sometimes it seems that I am the only teacher blogger that hasn't made a teacher toolbox, yet. Until now! 
I bought the 22 drawer toolbox from Home Depot. I ran out of my favorite navy Fusion spray paint, so I had to use regular spray paint. It turned out ok, but I would recommend using the Fusion paint. The tags were made from a free editable template that I found on TPT. (I apologize I can't find the file I used.) I added a polka dot background and bunting from Ashley Hughes, then added a text box using the MTF Chubb font. It is hard to tell in the picture, but it mostly blue and green, but I did try to bring in some brown (It looks orange though. I live with it this year and change it next summer, maybe.) This one is going to live on my desk. The mini ones I made last summer will live behind my small group area.

 

While I was in the garage spray painting, I took these old buckets that I've had since I started teaching and worked my magic on them. First, I tried scrubbing them. Didn't help! After they were dry, I sprayed them with 2 coats of white primer. (#3 I sanded, but it didn't seem to make a difference, so I didn't sand any others.)
This is #6 after one coat of primer.

Next, I gave each bucket 2 more coats of different colors, including; navy blue, meadow green, key lime, seaside, and spa blue. Much better! I am trying decide if I want to add ribbon or a team tag. What do you think?

While I was out there spray painting the toolbox and buckets, I decided to spray these frames. You might notice my selfie and a little extra texture. They stuck to the newspaper. I could have sanded it off, instead I just sprayed over it. I blame it on the paint fumes. Craft fail! 


Some final spray paint advice: Wear old shoes! (My feet look like I am trying out for Avatar 2 or the Blue Man Group.)  Each time you apply a new coat, lay down new newspaper or plastic. (I had some sticking issues.) Don't do it in your garage! (Even if you lay out plastic and or newspaper, the paint fumes travel. Hubby doesn't know it yet, but our garage floor is a mosaic of shades of blue and green paint haze. If we ever move, I'll probably have to have it painted. I, also, tagged one leg of an old barstool and a few boxes.)

My new teacher binder inserts

My clock circles

The clock circles were one of my easiest projects. Again, I couldn't find the exact file, but there are several on TPT. 

Since, I have a lot of new followers. Let me take a moment and introduce you to one of my SKcrew. This is (S)Kipper. He was originally adopted by my step-daughter, Tiffany. He was supposed to live with us for a month. 3 years later, he is one of my project inspectors. He is a very sweet red tabby with a crooked tail. His only fault: He likes to knock things off of tables and counters. 

Math Word Wall letters @ Tina's Teaching Treasures

To finish this project, I still need to print out, laminate, and cut out the matching bunting.

Days in School Tracker @ MamaJenn

To finish this project, I still need to hole punch the numbers, put them on rings, and some command hooks to the sign.

Finally, I need to make an announcement. Tomorrow is a BIG day for me! It is my first blogiversary and my 20th anniversary of  being a Texan!

I am hosting a 3 for 3 giveaway starting at midnight. Here is a list of my donors. 
Stop back by tomorrow and enter to win! Now, aren't you glad you read my very long post? 
Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. You have been working like a crazy person! Wow!

    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I had several more projects that I started, but didn't get finished. Oh well! There is always next week.

      Delete
  2. You accomplished a lot last week! I like the colors you selected for your plastic caddies.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't really have a class theme, but I do have a color scheme.

      Delete
  3. I can not believe all of the work you accomplished - way to go. Your caddies look great! You are not the last teacher to make a toolbox, since I still have not started that project, yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really debated making one. I already have 2 smaller ones. I've decided that the new one is for me, and I'll put supplies my kids will access to in the other two.

      Delete
  4. You are certainly not the last, I have a blank one sitting in the living room waiting for labels. I have a HUGE to do list. Your stuff looks awesome. I am totally stealing that days in school thing from you.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin,
    We're doing a similar color scheme - very similar:) I don't know why, but I didn't think about spray painting my buckets - just buying more. Great idea:) I think I'll make a trip to the school this week and see if I can grab mine and change the colors to match! I'm going to look for seaside and keylime. Did you get them at Walmart or HomeDepot or Lowes? How many bottles of spray paint would you recommend?

    Let me know if you remember where you got the clock lables from - I need blue/green labels. The only ones I found have blue/green/black.

    Deniece
    This Little Piggy Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spray paint came from Home Depot. I purchased 2 cans of white primer. I used all of one and started the second one, but my buckets were REALLY gross. I only purchased one can each of seaside and key lime. I still have a LOT left in the can. I may try to find more things to spray.

      I'll send you the file for the clock faces. I printed them on colored card stock from Colorbok @ Wal-Mart.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing what some spray paint can do! Your baskets turned out great.

    Hooty
    Hooty's Homeroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it will be worth it when everything matches in my classroom.

      Delete
  7. Wow!! You were BUSY and got so much accomplished! I don't have a Teacher Toolbox either. I love the look of them but don't know where I would keep it. How big is it actually? I keep all those supplies in a desk drawer with a desk organizer thing. Awesome work and looking forward to your giveaway:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally caved, because my desk drawers were a mess. Hopefully, this will help keep me a little bit more organized. Down side, the back is open. I will probably turn it towards the wall and put it on top of a short file cabinet. Desk space is precious!

      Here is a link to the teacher toolbox specs.
      http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-22-Compartment-Storage-Cabinet-DS-22-12/100005768#specifications

      Thank you for participating in my giveaway! I am excited! It has been a busy week and now I am ready for the party!

      Delete
  8. Kristen,
    You will love your storage organizer! My students ask me for a paperclip and they know right where to get it! Great job!
    Laken

    Whole Brain Teaching in the Ladybug Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My 4th graders always wanted band-aids from my old ones. I wonder what 2nd graders will want.

      Delete
  9. I went to church yesterday with red paint on one of my legs. I think I finally got it all off this morning. Totally understand about the blue feet. Sara B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the colors you've chosen for your baskets. You can add ribbon and a team label to them. I did that with mine last year. I put ribbon around the top, and I hot glued the table number card to the middle of the basket. It came out really cute! I wish I had a picture to show you, but unfortunately, I don't! I do have to redo them since our schoolwide theme is sports this year. My principal likes to change themes EVERY year!!! You can follow me at luaslearners.blogspot.com
    Thanks!
    Nichole :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how your buckets turned out. I have green totes (better than white, but still pretty grungy after being used for 15 years - Rubbermaid forever...). I was thinking about replacing them, but you have inspired me to refinish instead. You didn't use special paint for plastic?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the teacher tool box! I have that exact same box, but I use it in my bathroom for all my make-up! Never thought about using it at work. NEW project for me :)

    My spray painting tip: Don't do it in the dark either. My project did not look near as good the next day when the sun came up. :/

    Katie
    Chalk It Up To Good Behavior

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea for the toolbox - I've seen them, but never really thought about making one, until now. I think my hubby has an empty one in the basement! Yay! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many cute ideas! Love them. I'm your newest follower :) Feel free to stop by The Quirky Apple if you get a chance!

    ~Steph

    The Quirky Apple

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great ideas. I always forget I can paint plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy moly woman! Do you keep your cape in the back closet? Your definitely sounding like superwoman :)

    I brought my desk caddy's I inherited from the retiring teacher home thinking I would spray paint them. I'm glad you've blogged about it, maybe now, I'll get the gumption to do it! Do you think stickers would hold on the side after they've been painted (I'm thinking table # or student name) or do you think it'd pull the paint off?

    Thank you for linking up!

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete