09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

July 9, 2013

Room Recess - Tried It Tuesday


It's been awhile since I've linked up with Holly @ Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried It Tuesday. Not that I haven't tried anything, but not anything I felt like I needed to post on my blog.

A couple of days ago, I received an email request to share the website Room Recess. I decided to try it out. 

Since, I am teaching 2nd grade Math this year, I decided to try the Math games.
First game - Zombie Paintball.

Pick your paintball color, then hurl it at the zombie that is wearing the number that completes the pattern. After several correct hits, ghosts came flying overhead. I was asked to name the rule for the pattern. I was playing the 2nd grade level. I knew the rule and the number for the pattern, but was not as coordinated as a 2nd grader to hit the ghost. They will.

Next game - Snowball Fight
We don't get to throw too many snowballs in South Texas, so this was fun. Plus I got to nail the bully. Very therapeutic! 
This is an example of addition, but you can choose all of the operations, plus mixed addition/subtraction, mixed multiplication/division, and all four operations.

Third game - Block Buster
Reminds me of playing Tetris. Students get to practice fact families.


Final game - Tic Math Toe
"Do you want to play a game?" [Anyone remember War Games?]
This game is for 1 or 2 players. Choose a grade level. I played against the computer and won!


These are just the first 4 Math games. There are 6 more available, including Alien Addends, Missile Mania, Cheese Race, Flash Card Races, Pizzeria Park, and Coin$ for Candy.

Don't worry Language Arts teachers! There are, also, Word, Reading, and Matching games.

Disclaimer: I received no compensation for this post. These are my opinions after playing the games.  It was created by Brian King, a 3rd grade teacher in Indiana. All games are free and educational. I would recommend you give it a try.

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for PMA Wednesday!
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. That looks like a really fun website!! I'm going to bookmark it. I'm teaching kindergarten next year...do you think the games would be appropriate for the little kids?

    -Amanda
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although there are zombies in the first game, you are just hitting them with a paint gun. No REAL violence!

    They were created by a teacher, so I'd say give it a try.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great site! I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Head over to my blog to check it out. :)

    Cathy

    www.mrswhitehead.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These games look great. I'll have to have my camp kiddos try them out. Thanks for sharing this site with us.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked out those games too! I think it is so wonderful that the owner works on this site in his spare time and offers it for free. My students will love these games! Thanks for linking up, friend!! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like fun! Trying them in summer school today!

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried them out too and I know the kids will love them! Thanks for the resource!
    Tiffany
    crazyaboutsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete