09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

August 27, 2013

Tried It Tuesday - The Name Game

It has been a LONG time since I have linked up with my BBB, Holly. Mostly due to the fact that I haven't tried anything new. Well, since my grade level change, EVERYTHING is new.

Today, I tried one of my favorite 4th grade activities with my 2nd graders. I read them the story, Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. "Her name has 13 letters that is half of the letters in the alphabet." 

Next, students had to write their name over and over putting one letter in each box until they filled the grid. Then, they colored their name using a different color for each letter. Once they were finished, they were to look for patterns in their names and their friends' names. Finally, we sorted them and graphed them. [Original idea from TEXTEAMS inservice.]


Today was all about graphing. We also completed our birthday graph. I wrote their name and birthdate on a birthday cake. They decorated it and brought it to me. I asked them to find the correct month. Once there was already a cake next to their month, I asked them to decided if their cake came before or after the other cake. 

I will use both of these graphs to ask questions when we have extra time.

Last, but not least...I tried the Name glyphs yesterday. Today, I backed them with black construction paper and hung them up. I love the way they all look together. 



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Your name glyphs look great! did you make them? I would love to have a copy. Would you be able to send it to me at deceze@optonline.net? thank you Felicia Tokson 2nd grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas! I love that you were able to use a "big kid" activity with the 2nd graders. I bet they felt grown-up. Great way to use graphing in your class and make it meaningful for the kids. I also love your name glyphs. They really pop and are so colorful!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your name glyphs look amazing! I love the book, Chrysanthemum too! Great post, Kristin:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete