09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

September 20, 2013

Five for Friday - What does the fox say?


Believe it or not, I started this post last Saturday. If I didn't, then I would never get it posted on Friday. I look forward to it, because I feel like my week is officially over after it is posted.


 Peanut Butter Cup Crack Brownies

Close up of the layers

What are you known for on your team or at your school? Me...Peanut Butter and Chocolate desserts. My past two team leaders have "scheduled" me to bring their birthday desserts, so that they ensure they get their PB and chocolate fix. This past weekend, I decided I needed to "practice" a new recipe, so I made these for game day. OMG! A brownie base...a layer of melted Reese's PB cups...topped with a chocolate chip Rice Krispie ganache. 

Angie - If you are reading this, this is what is being served for your birthday in October. 
Click here to get the recipe.


One out, one in! Friday, I had a student move. Monday morning, I got a new student. Here is the BEST part. Now, I have 3 students with the same first name all in the same class. Two spell their name with a y, the other one spells it with an i. You would think I could use their last initial. Well, I do, but they all sound the same (G, P, and T). This is going to be as much fun as the year I had 4 Madisons (2 in each class.)


A few years ago, our superintendent started a reading initiative in our district. Every year, there is a BIG kick-off day. Most schools extend this into a special reading week. Our librarian coordinates the event for our school and comes up with daily themes. 

Monday's theme - "What have you READ today?" Staff and students all wore red and jeans.
Tuesday's theme - "Reading is a fashion statement!" It was school picture day, so we all dressed up.
Wednesday's theme - "Read for a Better Life Day" District kick-off day! We wore our school spirit shirts and jeans. We, also, had a guest reader. 
Thursday's theme - "Team Up and Read Day" Staff and students wore a team jersey or t-shirt. Instead of doing just book buddies, we cross train. My 2nd grade Math/Science homeroom is paired up with a 4th grade Math/Science homeroom (actually my former partner). My 2nd graders took their favorite Science book to share with their 4th grade trainer. 
Friday's theme - "Hats Off to Reading Day" Staff and students wore their favorite hat. We, also, donate money to The Heavenly Hats Foundation.


Kindness counts! Thursday, I received 3 of the kindest comments. The first one came from my partner. She submitted a TAE (Teacher Achieving Excellence) report. A copy is emailed to my principal and myself. Now, my name is submitted for a quarterly prize drawing. 

The second kind comment, also, came in the form of an email. A parent emailed to let me know how happy she is, because her daughter is so happy this year. She, also, offered to send in books for my classroom library. I have an awesome 4th grade chapter book library, but only 3 baskets of picture books for 2nd grade.

The third kind comment came from one of my sweet little ducklings. She looked up at me with her big brown eyes and told me that "2nd grade is the best grade ever!" 

I hope someone shared some kindness and love with you this week. 


My newest obsession



This song is way better than the "See and Say" toy I had as a kid. It cracks me up EVERY time I watch it.
Then, a friend shared this one with me.


As a former high school marching band member and self-proclaimed nerd, this video makes me want to go to Ohio University and be in the marching band again. LOVE it!

Question: Do you read my PMA Wednesday posts? The positive side of me is saying, "Keep doing it. Even if you only help one person, you helped that one person." The negative side of me is quoting Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" It is one more thing to do EVERY week. I would appreciate any comments.
Have a great weekend! 
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I love your reading week themes!

    Isn't it amazing how a compliment from a child can make all of our hard work worthwhile?!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fox song - I have never heard of it before!!!!

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I am so glad you posted that dang fox song. My teamie made me watch it the other day because she had googled the phrase after seeing signs about it during the Texans game. Weirdest. Video. Ever. Have you watched their Stonehenge video? LOL. Craziness. (I cackle every time, too.)

    Sounds like a good week! I can't tell you how many times this year I've quoted Sweet Brown. Sigh.

    -Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word those brownies look delicious!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete