09 10 11 12
Blogging tips

July 28, 2014

MMI: DIY version


MMI? DIY? Tomatoes, tomat-oes! Either way, I did it myself. 
The first one was a huge leap of faith. 


BEFORE
I love my cats, but I don't love what they did to my kitchen wallpaper. 
Last Sunday, it bothered me so much that I started peeling wallpaper. Most of it just peeled off like sunburned skin. It was awesome! The rest, I had to spray with water and fabric softener, then scrape off. 

HALF WAY DONE!
This is probably a good time to mention that I've NEVER done this before, and I was doing it by myself.
Next, I had to tape, putty, and sand two corners and a damaged spot. 
I didn't use the correct tape, but it worked. It may not look professional, but it does look better.

AFTER
Self high five!
Not only had I never stripped wallpaper or puttied holes, but I had never painted walls.
I am pretty happy with the results. Please excuse my trash and recycling cans, dog bowls, and kennel.


Once I completed my first DIY project, the painting bug had bitten me.

BEFORE
High tech hanging devices (nails) holding up cleaning tools.
This bothered me, because they were ugly, too big, 
and they slipped in and out of their holes every time I hung up a tool.

SUPPLIES and PREP
I liked the color of the blue acrylic paint, but it was too thin. 
The beige paint was thicker and covered better.
The original plan was to use Command hooks. 
However, they fell off as soon as I added the tools. 
Plan B - I used white finishing nails.

AFTER
Was this project necessary? No! 
Does it make me happy when I go in my laundry room? Yes!
I might even enjoy cleaning a little more.


My last DIY MMI involves food.
Since, I will be returning to work August 18th, I decided I needed to make some home cooked meals and freeze them. Otherwise, I will be existing on grilled cheese sandwiches or frozen meals.

from Joyful Momma's Kitchen
Sorry, no pics! 
I made a few substitutions.
Instead of shredded chicken, I used John Soules Chicken Fajita strips.
I couldn't find a tub of Philadelphia Cooking Creme, 
so I substituted a jar of On the Border Monterrey Jack Queso.
Finally, I used 5 tortillas, instead of 3.
I put mine in a 9 X 13 foil pan, double wrapped it in heavy duty foil, and froze it.
I tested the filling, but I gave away the casserole to a friend, who had foot surgery.

from Pioneer Woman

Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, is a great cook. 
I am not. I am a good cook, a lazy cook.
I only had 10 lasagna noodles left, so I made 3 sets of 3 roll-ups. 
(Can't help making it an array. I'm a math teacher.)
I browned my sausage, then added the sauce.
Meanwhile, I added an egg and shredded Parmesan cheese to the ricotta.
Once, the pasta was cooked. I followed Ree's directions.
I froze 2 and ate one. One roll-up, a slice of garlic bread, and a salad made for a yummy dinner!


Dad's Hamburger Stroganoff
from the kitchen of my dad

This last one is my favorite. My dad has been gone for nearly 23 years, over half my lifetime. My mom said this is one of the meals he made for her when they were in college together at K-State. 
It is a sentimental, as well as culinary, favorite.

Ingredients:
1/4 butter
1 clove garlic (I used minced in the jar.)
1 lb. hamburger
2 Tbsp. flour
salt & pepper to taste
8 oz. of mushrooms (drained)
can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg. egg noodles

Melt butter in skillet. Add garlic and saute. Add hamburger and brown. Drain grease. Add flour, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Cook and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add soup. Simmer on medium low for 10 minutes. Add sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Serve over cooked egg noodles or add them to the mixture. I froze two portions without noodles in tupperware for during the school year. I will eat the other half this week. 

Enjoy! Let me know if you try any of the recipes, especially Dad's Hamburger Stroganoff! 
Click here to go back to Tara's MMI party! I've been partying with Tara for two years now. 
My very post was a MMI on July 23, 2012. 


I no longer use that binder, pick me pot, or iRead/iWrite journals.
However, I did put out the America banner and wreath for the 4th.
Does this count as my TBT post, too?

Have a great week!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I tried to email several times about the meet up... Did you happen to receive them? Email me at fearlessin5th@yahoo.com when you get a chance please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the make-ahead meal ideas! Making some freezer meals is on my to-do list before school starts and these all sound delicious. More importantly, I think my picky kiddos will even eat them! :)

    ReplyDelete